Ubuntu is the only operating system that can run both a mobile-based full touch interface and a true PC experience from a single smart device.
- A comprehensive developer offering that works across the desktop, the tablet and the phone
- The world’s favourite desktop Linux distribution, with a mature app marketplace
- Choose from a number of app development options from web to native apps
- Used by millions of developers, all over the world
One app on Ubuntu for all form factors
With Ubuntu, you can write a single app with responsive interfaces that allow it to run on any Ubuntu device. Use the Ubuntu SDK to build your app and make it available to users of Ubuntu PCs, phones and tablets, all in a single upload to the Ubuntu Store.
Three reasons to build your next app on Ubuntu
- You can create one application that can run on any Ubuntu device and inherently scale to any type of display
- Ubuntu is one of industry's most established developer communities, empowering open development for devices including PCs, smartphones and tablets
Build it your way
Convergent native apps
HTML5 web apps
Our unique web app system lets you adapt any web property for installation as an app on Ubuntu. Running independently of the browser, it can be granted its own icon and access to system services. HTML5 apps written for other platforms can also be easily adapted to Ubuntu. Our browser supports WebRTC services to allow web based communication to just work.
Ubuntu’s unique scopes
One size fits all
Developers can create one app that adapts to all form factors and screen sizes. Web apps and convergent native apps can be written using QML, HTML5 and Cordova with an ever-growing list of Ubuntu App Platform APIs. Ubuntu’s tight integration cycle enables a true write-once, run-everywhere approach that conserves precious developer time.
Get noticed with scopes
Ubuntu tablets and phones ship with a number of pre-installed scopes, including Shopping, Photos, Videos, News and NearBy for location-based information. By making your services available in one of these scopes — or even creating your own — you can build your content and services into the device’s default user experience.
What is a scope?
Ubuntu’s scopes are like filters through which you can surface your content on an Ubuntu tablet or phone, without building an app. They use a straightforward framework for containing data sources, delivering content by topic, straight to the user’s fingertips.
Easy to create
Explore the Ubuntu SDK
Try out the integrated development environment for developing apps and scopes for Ubuntu.